Thursday, July 12, 2007

The XPoNential Music Festival

Aren't those folks over at XPN witty? XPoNential. Get it? Yuk yuk.

Regardless of how corney the name is, though, the festival coming up next weekend looks good. I'm going for two days of it, along with my blushing bride and several friends. I'm expecting it to be pretty awesome.

For one thing, I'm looking forward to just camping out in one spot and seeing a parade of excellent musicians, ranging from little known local artists to a few bigger names. Check out the program here. Better hurry and get your tickets - I think tomorrow is the last day.

mjrc put up some tunes by the smaller acts, so I'll do likewise but with some of the better known artists. Hope to see you there!

The Smithereens - A Girl Like You (buy)
The Smithereens - I Saw Her Standing There (buy)
I'm hoping they'll do some Beatles covers from their most recent album, which I thought was a lot of fun. Also, an oldie but a goodie.

Fountains of Wayne - '92 Subaru (buy)
Fountains of Wayne - Bright Future in Sales (buy)
Although I didn't think their most recent album lived up to expectations, it's still excellent pop. Check out this hilarious article from NPR while yer at it.

Suzanne Vega - Blood Makes Noise (buy)
Suzanne Vega - 99.5 F (buy)
Her new CD isn't even out and I'm pumped. It's XPN's featured album of the week next week, and the review is tantalizing. You can't buy it yet, but you can preorder and get it in time to give it a good listen before the weekend.

Oh, yeah. Marc Broussard is also going to be there:
Marc Broussard - Home (buy)
This line up couldn't be a whole lot better! I hope I don't embarrass myself. Seems likely, though.

Cheers,
WRE

No comments:

Post a Comment